Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Airbending SLICE!

Hey guys! My name's Alexis and I'm excited that Megan and Brianna have asked me to guest post this week! I'm gonna cut to the chase today, as I have finals starting tomorrow and I've only studied 30 minutes so far (I'm really talented at procrastinating, trust me, but this is getting bad). You can read about my incompetency as a blogger on my last post, though!

If you know me, you know I tend to obsess have a lot of passion for various things and these passions wax and wane with time. You guys already know how crazy I am for Harry Potter, so I thought I'd introduce you to my latest obsession: Avatar.

Nope, not the blue people, the cartoon -- you know the one, ran around 2005ish and involved a boy who could control all the elements and rode atop a flying bison? (There was a movie based off of it, but we won't get into that mess of an adaptation.) It may be a Nickelodeon television show targeted for children 12 and under, but the themes and character development make it equally as intriguing for teenagers and adults as well!

The thing is, the creators of Avatar have made a sequel show -- The Legend of Korra -- that is simply fantastic. It follows the adventures of Korra, the water-based Avatar succeeding Aang. The first two episodes are online already, so I went ahead and watched them -- I've already seen a couple of the old ones and enjoyed those, after all. I had no idea the show would have me hooked. I watched the old series from the beginning on Netflix, and have ever since wanted to have a Momo Appa Zuko bending skills of my own.


The subtle comedy, fluent action, and strong character arcs are just the beginning -- the way the show appropriately pictures a war-ridden world and all its atrocities while still minding the targeted audience is amazing. I highly suggest you watch it -- no matter your age or gender or television preferences -- because its unique depth and style is unmatched, especially in children's television.

The Legend of Korra premieres on television tomorrow morning, but if you simply can't wait you can watch the first two episodes here! Question for the comments, if you feel so inclined: which element would you want to bend? Air, earth, fire, or water? I'm partial to air myself, though earth would be super cool as well (Toph pretty much sold me on that one).

Seriously. Go watch this show. There are plenty of places online if Netflix isn't your style, but it deserves all the awards. If you'd like to follow me on the internet, I live on tumblr (a phrase especially true this week, as studying becomes more and more burdensome). I will warn you, however, that it contains a lot of British television among other show references. Hope y'all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment